Find out more about Communications Software
What is Communications Software?
Communications software helps transmit information between different software systems. This platform enables you to access remote computers and transmits files in various formats between systems. Popular communication software solutions are file transfer protocol (FTP), instant messaging apps, live chat, and email. Another widely used product nowadays is Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). VoIP enables you to make calls at a cheap rate as all you need is internet access. Enterprises can use communications software to enable their employees to exchange info securely and privately, and also to contact customers using secure channels. To choose a suitable communications system for your company, check out the current front-runner in this category RingCentral as well as other widely used products.
Most Popular Communications Software
Best Communications Software
How To Choose The Best Communications Software
Though communications software products are becoming increasingly popular, many SMEs are not aware of their usefulness and how they can help their business. Most applications in this category have been traditionally targeted at large organizations that have their own call centers. Of late, online products have been launched that can be used by businesses of all sizes and types. This article details the different types of communications software, which businesses they are targeted at, the top vendors in each category, the key features, and main benefits. You can also read our detailed reviews of the top 10 communications software.
Get to know each product with a free trial
In most instances, you should go and try out at least a few free trial plans from the most popular and best communications software. With that approach you will be able to try out the major features and you should get a good idea on how the best Communications software works before you spend any money on one. The best thing to do is to try services that currently have the highest results in our SmartScore and Customer Satisfaction Rating in the communications software category: RingCentral reviews, 8×8 VoIP, CDMessenger, ClickDesk, 8×8 Call Center, Vocalcom, Campaign Monitor, LiveChat, Zoho Meeting, DeskRoll, and MyOwnConference.
For Unified Communications Software and Call Center Software:
- These products are ideal for companies focused on relationship and support management and looking to add customer support and call center capabilities.
- High-volume call centers that wish to invest in desktop devices for their agents.
- Headquarters of big companies that have in-house customer service and numerous telephone lines.
- Small businesses such as e-commerce companies and marketing agencies that provide customer support over phone.
For Web Conferencing and Video Software:
Ideal for businesses with multiple branches and clients in many locations. This software can be used to reduce travel costs as it can be utilized for conference calls, training purposes, and interactions with team members and customers.
For Live Chat Software:
- E-commerce sites and IT vendors can offer live help to improve customer experience.
- Call centers can use this software to provide additional services by way of text-based communication.
Communications Software For Enterprises
As we mentioned before, communications apps are most of the time directed towards large enterprises wishing to establish their internal communication network and to keep their large and decentralized teams connected. An elegant communications solution will seamlessly solve some of their biggest problems, including data reliability and excessive time consumption, in particular such that is scalable and well-integrated with the rest of their software architecture. Together with improved ROI rates, enterprises will get to save money communicating via third party applications and software, and will collaborate to keep all tasks in line with the firm’s long term mission and goals.
What are Examples of Communications Software?
For Unified Communications Software and Call Center Software:
- Five9: Offers many features such as real-time reporting, CRM integrations, speech recognition, IVR (Interactive Voice Response), and skills-based routing. Can be used by businesses of all sizes.
- 8×8 Virtual Contact Center: User-friendly suite that provides a pay-as-you-grow pricing model.
- RingCentral: Offers voice, conferencing, text, and fax solutions for businesses and freelancers.
- Vocalcom Cloud Contact Center: This product provides live chat, Visual IVR, and social media customer engagement at an affordable cost.
- Phone.com: Ideal for small businesses that can utilize its useful features such as text and fax services.
For Web Conferencing and Video Software:
- GoToMeeting: Ideal for all types of businesses and freelancers. Allows calls with up to 25 users. It allows sharing both on desktop applications as well as mobile devices, and integrates with Microsoft Outlook to facilitate scheduling.
- ClickMeeting: Web-based app that allows document sharing, screen sharing, and whiteboard presentations.
- Speek: Allows conference calling and call recording. This app is easy to use and works great on mobile devices.
- GoToWebinar: Ideal app for webinars involving up to 1,000 participants. Works both on PC and Mac.
For Live Chat Software:
- HelpOnClick Live Chat Software: Easy to install and offers a real-time website traffic monitor that can be used to invite visitors for a chat.
- RumbleTalk: Offered in over 20 languages. Websites can use this chatroom platform. The app can be utilized to offer a customized experience by creating your personal CSS skin or related themes.
For details on other popular apps, browse our article on the top 15 communications solutions.
Types of Communications Software
Unified Communications Software and Call Center Software: These software products are a suite that offer features such as email or telephony management tools, PBX (Private Branch Exchange), and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). They are used in call centers and companies with a huge amount of telephone lines.
Web Conferencing and Video Software: This type of software is used for conducting online meetings and webinars with video connection on desktop and mobile, and includes document and screen sharing capabilities.
Live Chat: This type of software is installed on websites to enable businesses to provide personalized customer support. It provides reports on the browsing behavior of website visitors which can be used to create customized chat and support experiences. The data can also be used to create and manage advertising campaigns.
Key Features of Communications Software
- Cloud PBX – Utilizes the benefits of cloud service to offer a phone system over the internet.
- Auto-Receptionist – Handles and forwards calls automatically without manual aid.
- Call Forwarding – Forwards calls accurately to the right internal unit and individual employee.
- Call Recording – Helps to record calls for future reference and training purposes.
- Video Conferencing – You can conduct virtual meetings with team members in diverse locations around the world.
- Audio Conferencing – You can chat with team members in other locations through this feature.
- Internet Fax – Makes use of internet protocol to send faxes.
- Voicemail and Greeting – Offers a bunch of greetings as well as voicemail facility to record messages when you are not available.
- Multi-level IVR – Expands the capability of the auto-receptionist feature to manage large volume of incoming calls.
Benefits of Communications Software
The best communications software for you business is supposed to offer the following benefits:
- Improve Your Communication Capabilities: An integrated communications system can help to automate communication processes so that users are able to communicate effectively with one another regardless of device, location, or media type.
- Boost Personal and Business Productivity: A scalable solution can offer quick payback and improve performance and speed in a high volume atmosphere.
- Increase Accuracy: Minimize manual intervention and boost the reliability, accuracy, and speed of information exchange between users.
- Gain Flexibility: Scale the range and number of communication channels to keep up with the growing requirements of your business.
- Improve Compliance: Use centralized rights management and tracking to capture all important communication events in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Reduce Administration and Infrastructure Costs: Use a consolidated communications solution to minimize the cost of maintaining multiple device-specific channels.
- Unified Communications: Unified communication is the integration of real-time and near real-time communication solutions. This means the integration of phone, chat services, messaging, video conferencing, commenting and feedback systems, and others. Unified communications provide a consistent user interface across multiple media types and devices. The advantage is you can reduce infrastructure expenses and offer more features for a responsive experience.
- Video Conferencing: Traditionally, video conferencing was used in boardroom meetings. The new trend is the use of video-enabled tablets and smartphones that allow users to call from anywhere, anytime. Web-based video conferencing enables teams to discuss in virtual rooms to boost collaboration. The latest video conferencing systems offer collaboration features such as screen sharing, text chat, and document sharing.
- Issues with Unified Communications: Unified communications makes use of a single computer-based system to handle phone, chat, video, document sharing etc. But there can be problems with this method. First, you have to purchase a one-size-fits-all service (on-premise or cloud-hosted) and then ensure all users have compatible tools to utilize the software. This affects portability, which is essential for communication.
- Absence of Unified Communications Apps on the Four Main Platforms: The need of the hour is consistent and compatible unified communications apps on the four most popular platforms: Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android. But, no vendor provides such an offering. Microsoft comes close with its Lync solution, but the product’s development has taken many years which has created big compatibility gaps. This means the Lync platform is not that effective if your workforce is location-flexible, multiplatform, and mobile.
We hope this article has updated you on the features and benefits of popular types of communications software, and the top vendors in each category. Choose a suitable product based on your needs and the features offered.
List of Communications Software Companies
Page last modified
Our platform employs our certified SmartScore™ mode to analyze all the applications in the Email Management Software category to help you pick the best possible application. It takes into consideration the following elements: individual modules, collaboration capabilities, customization, integration, intuitiveness, help & support, security, support for smartphones and tablets, ratings in media. As of now, Zoho Mail is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. Following thorough evaluation it received the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you include it as one of the solutions for your needs.
An overview of the general user satisfaction with the service in the Email Management Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that analyzes customer reviews, comments and opinions across a wide set of social media sites in order to help you make an informed purchase decision.
Every vendor in the Email Management Software category will offer a different set of pricing plans for its app and each package will include a varied set of features. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable package provided for each service. Please note that advanced features may cost extra.
An analysis of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B services in the Email Management Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Find out what languages and geographies are supported by the top B2B solutions in the Email Management Software category, including services designed for international markets and created for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Examine what pricing packages are provided by the vendors in the Email Management Software category to see which one fits your business needs and budget best. Note that certain solutions can support free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
A brief look at what types of clients a selected B2B solution in the Email Management Software category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
An overview of what kinds of software deployement are supported by every B2B vendor in the Email Management Software category. Although the majority of modern SaaS solutions are cloud-hosted there are solutions might offer an on-site deployment model too.